I just got my iPhone, which has a 4G network, so I think I can access the internet on July 4th. But I’m not sure. So stay tuned.
Here’s a link to the Restore the 4th page:https://cms.fightforthefuture.org/july-4th-celebrate-4th-amendment-post-it-everywhere/. Before you donate, call, or join a public rally, make sure you get your parent’s permission.
Anyway, here’s how the whole things started:
After the 9/11 attacks, President George W. Bush was getting worried about terrorists in the United States. So he made a surveillance program to spy on people- this was known as the Patriot Act. But he didn’t just randomly wiretap people. The 4th Amendment in our Constitution says that the government can’t spy on people without a good reason to spy on them.
And he followed the 4th Amendment. He only spied on people who he had a good reason to spy on. But now, the NSA and Obama are spying on people randomly without any good reason to spy on them!
Here’s who they’ve been spying on (you can read more about it here: http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/the-many-ways-obamas-nsa-has-been-spying-on-you):
1. Anybody who has used a phone in any way-cell phones and landlines- from 2006 to now.
2. Anyone who has a Facebook account, Gmail account, or Yahoo account.
3. Anyone who has used a Skype, or been in a Google Hangout from 2007 to now.
4. Anyone who has searched anything on Google or Bing.
5. Anyone who has had a Gchat or Facebook conversation.
6. Possibly anybody who has used a credit card- maybe not, but if you look at the article, there’s some evidence indicating it. So one can only hope.
And there’s this Restore the 4th widget that you can display on your site made by the awesome people at Fight For The Future, but I can’t do it for some reason, so I’ll just type it:
The Fourth Amendment: The rights of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and now Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
That amendment was written by great men, our Founding Fathers: George Washington, John Adams, Ben Franklin, James Madison, etc. They were brilliant men who paved the way for a great nation. But the government is taking that away.
Peace out, and May the 4th Amendment be with you.
-SWF Max/GFF Max